Sweet potatoes baked in the oven can be used as a main course or a healthy side. However, they can become monotonous after repeated simple consumption. The good news is that there are countless delicious ways to spice up ordinary baked sweet potatoes.
The variety of toppings is practically limitless, spanning from simple to opulent and from sweet to savory. Here are over 25 tasty suggestions for enhancing the flavor of cooked sweet potatoes.
If you enjoy more savory flavors on your baked sweet potatoes, here are some simple yet satisfying ideas:
- Butter – A pat of butter is the basic topping for baked sweet potatoes. The creaminess pairs perfectly with the sweet tuber. Use grass-fed for more nutrients.
- Greek yogurt – For more protein, top your baked sweet potato with a dollop of plain nonfat Greek yogurt.
- Cheese – Sprinkle on shredded cheese like cheddar, Monterey jack, or parmesan for a cheesy potato meal.
- Sour cream – Full-fat sour cream offers a cooling contrast to a hot sweet potato.
- Chives – Fresh chives lend subtle onion flavor and green color.
- Bacon bits – A sprinkle of crispy bacon bits adds a smoky crunch.
- Chili – Leftover chili makes an easy topping for sweet potato chili bowls.
- Beans – Black beans, pinto beans, and other varieties add fiber.
- Salsa – Choose fresh pico de gallo or tomato salsa for Southwest flavor.
- Avocado – Sliced or mashed avocado provides creaminess and healthy fats.
- Egg – A fried or poached egg turns a baked sweet potato into a protein-packed breakfast.
- Hummus – Chickpea hummus spreads nicely on baked sweet potatoes for a Mediterranean twist.
If your sweet tooth craves something sweeter on your baked sweet potatoes, consider these tasty ideas:
- Brown sugar – A sprinkling of brown sugar complements the natural sweetness.
- Cinnamon – This warming spice is a classic paired with sweet potato.
- Maple syrup – Drizzle on pure maple syrup for sweetness with an earthy edge.
- Honey – Raw unprocessed honey adds floral sweetness and antioxidants.
- Pecans – Chopped or whole pecans provide crunch and complement the sweet flavor.
- Walnuts – Toasted walnuts pair nicely for texture and nutritious fats.
- Raisins – Plump golden raisins lend a touch of fruity sweetness.
- Dried cranberries – Dried cranberries offer a tart pop of flavor.
- Applesauce – Naturally sweet applesauce makes a nice topping alternative.
- Granola – Look for homemade granola with nuts, oats, and dried fruit.
- Coconut – Shredded coconut provides tropical flair.
- Chocolate chips – Semisweet chocolate chips create chocolate-covered sweet potato treats.
Savory Filling Ideas
Transform your baked sweet potato from a side into a hearty vegetarian main course by stuffing it with delicious savory fillings like:
- Chili – Top with chili, beans, cheese, yogurt, etc. for a loaded chili sweet potato.
- Veggies – Stuff your baked sweet potato with roasted broccoli, sautéed spinach, diced tomatoes, etc.
- Pesto – Basil or sun-dried tomato pesto packs a flavorful punch.
- Egg salad – For a protein-rich option, top with homemade egg salad.
- Taco meat – Vegetarian soyrizo or meat substitute creates a taco-in-a-potato.
- Greek – Fill with garlicky sautéed spinach, artichokes, feta, and olives.
- Barbecue jackfruit – Shredded barbecue jackfruit makes for a plant-based pulled pork filling.
- Cajun spiced lentils – Beluga or green lentils kick up the spice.
Sweet Filling Combinations
If a sweet dessert-like baked sweet potato suits your cravings, mix and match these sweet fillings:
- Apples – Diced apples add more fruit flavor. Toss in cinnamon, raisins, nuts, etc.
- Bananas – Sliced bananas pair perfectly with brown sugar and cinnamon.
- Berries – Fresh blueberries, raspberries, or strawberries make a nutritious filling.
- Pineapple – Cubed pineapple makes a tropical filling.
- Peaches – Diced peaches lend a summery vibe.
- Nut butter – Peanut or almond butter adds nutrition and creamy richness.
- Ricotta cheese – Light and creamy ricotta complements the sweet potato flavor.
- Ice cream – A scoop of vanilla ice cream melts into the perfect topping.
- Granola – For crunch, top with yogurt and granola.
- Chia pudding – Spoon chia seed pudding into your sweet potato.
- Coconut cream – For plant-based creaminess, use full-fat coconut cream.
Simple cooked sweet potatoes can be dressed up in countless different ways. Make a sweet potato meal that’s just right for you by combining flavors in any way you like.
You may easily meet your daily vitamin and fiber requirements by incorporating delicious roasted sweet potatoes into your diet.